Although our collaborators speak English it is convenient for volunteers to have basic Spanish. It is important to remember that volunteers can also learn Spanish during their stay in the program or they can opt to receive classes outside of the volunteer schedule.
AGE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM.
The minimum age for a volunteer to participate in our volunteer program is 18 and not older than 50 year.
LIST OF THINGS AND SUPPLIES THAT VOLUNTEERS NEED.
- In addition to the items in the list of contents in the Travel Manual, please be sure to bring the following:
- Insect repellent (use this at all times as it is a zone of dengue fever) and a strong anti-itch cream
- Hat and sunscreen
- The work does not provide sandals, you can use boots or rubber water boots depending on the work tasks and can be purchased in Puerto Lopez for USD 6.
- Workwear and long socks (to work in) that come at least halfway up your shin.
- Sandals or flip flops (for free time)
- Hard work gloves (buy these at any hardware store, light, leather faced, cotton backed gardening gloves are fine)
- Replenishment of usable water bottle (at least one liter, one quarter in the United States)
- Small backpack
- Flashlight (recommended headlight) and batteries or rechargeable batteries.
- Waterproof jacket of good quality (not a poncho, for monitoring trips)
- Warm clothes (since it can be cold from July to September)
- Medications for gastrointestinal problems.
LIST OF MATERIALS THAT VOLUNTEERS MUST BRING TO THE PROJECT.
- For whale monitoring, turtle protection and bird banding.
- If you have a laptop that you are able to bring please, do so as you will be able to help download the data that is collected and processed and whale identification photos.
- Cameras with 300 mm lenses for the identification of individual whales are an invaluable asset for monitoring efforts
- GPS for the monitoring of whales.